Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July

Well I left 'campsite' at McLain State Park on the 4th. I wanted to do another long day and get to Ontonagon.. Or at least try. Early in the afternoon the slight ENE wind seemed to be creating waves bigger than it would seem. I heard distant rumbles but never saw anything. Then as I was headed for Fourteen Mile Point the sky ahead did begin to look dark.. I decided I best head for the beach in the bay and pulled into the mouth of the West Sleeping River. I took a swim in the river and then turned on the VHF radio.. They had this special marine warning going on so I started to prepare. Plenty of time an I waited and watched until I figured I might as well go in the tent? As much as I've always wanted to see a waterspout I hoped that portion of the warning wouldn't develop..and it didn't..that I saw. Anyway..it felt much better to be prepared than that much worse stormy night I spent in a changing room with no pad or sleeping bag..wondering if my boat and tent would still be there in the morning...

Leaving the north canal breakwaters .. The shore along the way...

The river mouth .. Preparing m boat for waterspouts?

Tenting in the woods

A storms a coming!

1 comment: