Monday, July 2, 2012

Across Keweenaw Bay & through Keweenaw Peninsula

I was eager to cross Keweenaw Bay so got up and started to heat water for coffee and oatmeal. Next thing you know down comes Phyllis with a cup of coffee for me and an invite to breakfast.. : ) Thanks again!!
Well needless to say the morning glass like calm was gone by the time I set out.. But a light headwind is good on a crossing. The night before it was said it was about 7 miles across from Sand Bay but considering how long it took I doubted that. Looking at the map it looks more like 10 or at least 9. It was nice to finally head into the Portage Lake canal waterway. It was hot and I reveled in the moments a breeze came up. Lots of boat traffic, pontoon boats, power boats pulling inflatable thingies and PWC's seemed the most numerous. Houghton..Hancock seemed nice from the water. I saw the Ranger III at dock...then a lift bridge with the same colors. I had lunch..my only out of boat break for the day, at a City Park with a big playground slide. Then I pushed on .. Eventually deciding to camp at the North Canal Park as I already mentioned.. Yes, I'm writing this days later as I never did one on the through he Peninsula day. I'll date it as it occurred..

Just starting out on the crossing .. Almost to the canal entrance!

Cool old masonry barn converted to a big home .. The route

Approaching the downtown areas .. A ski area on the Hancock side

The Ranger III .. Isle Royale Ferry

City Park I stopped for lunch .. Note the lift-bridge is the same color of Ranger III

On and on.....

Finally... The other side!

First I stopped to check out McLain State Park .. Then I went out and around to North Canal Park only to find out..no more campground .. So I decided to dry stuff and hang out ... Setting my tent up down near the water ? Hard to believe a night of continuous storms were about to develop.

Next morning.. Wind is picking up.. Note how the storm cases waves were passed the vestibule.

1 comment:

  1. cool little college in Hancock, now called Finlandia. When my son attended it was 2 track, nursing and art, he's an artist. Sass

    ReplyDelete