Tuesday, July 10, 2012

West side of Sand Point

I'm at the Apostle Island mainland backcountry site on the west side of Sand Point. I saw Minnesota today as I rounded Point Detour. Wish there was more camping places. It was less than 20 miles today stopping here with hours of daylight.
Tomorrow I'll paddle past the sea caves accessed from Meyer's Beach. They start just a couple miles from this campsite.
The last 'designated' camping option on the lake between here and Duluth is Clover Town Park in Herbster. Unfortunately it's only 13 or so miles from where I am now.. Already I realize how much further I could have paddled today as I got here before 3 pm and did not leave Red Cliff until about 9:30 am. I was going to camp in Herbster and do a big long next day to reach Duluth but I've decided to go longer tomorrow and just stealth camp somewhere. The mouth of the Brule or something? Makes more sense to do a couple of 25 or so mile days.

Just leaving the Legendary Waters Marina

I've heard about this shallow shipwreck they do kayak tours to..

Paddling around the Bayfield Peninsula

Lunch stop at Little Sand Bay .. Then cross to Sand Point

Campsite

Sunset into Minnesota with Apostle's Eagle Island

No comments:

Post a Comment