Saturday, July 7, 2012

Union Bay Porky's Campground to Black River

The rain finally ended sometime during the night. Winds were to be 5 knots variable. As I left the boat ramp area I could see it was pretty windy out around the corner. I pushed on as perhaps it was just a gusty session or about to let up. I'd say 15 knots at times. I was only wearing a light wool top so did my best to not have waves splash of the stuff on my bow deck.. I got wet and figured eventually I'd get cold if the headwind continued. Finally I saw a little spot I could pull into like a mini harbor. I put on my dry top for the first time since in Canada. Within an hour the wind did die down to more like 5. As you can see photos along the way have water on the lens. I had lunch at the mouth of the Presque Isle River. Made me think of the time a couple of us paddled the final rapid into the lake one spring. Made me think of my friend Jim Rada who died paddling the Presque Isle in 2003.
It took me 5 hours and 15 minutes from when I left Union Bay to get to the River. Then I went another 5 or so to the Black River facility. I asked the nice woman running the little store about camping at the dock.. She first said there is a campground, showing me on a map. I said if I could be considered a boater and just stay here I'd rather not haul all my stuff up there and leave my kayak down here. She thought that made sense and called her boss.. Had me talk to him and explain and I got a sweet deal. $10 .. I'm sure the campground would have been $20 or more. I just went to the smallest boat length and cheapest dockage.. The floating dock and went behind it and found a place I could pull my loaded boat right up to the grassy picnic area. I have some stuff drying and moved to a picnic table in the shade on the dock. I also found out I paddled into the Central Time Zone today! It's a good feeling. Sounds like a couple light wind days so I should be to Bayfield for camping Monday night.

Just leaving the boat ramp area.

Paddling the Porky's shoreline .. Finally the mouth of the Presque Isle

The river mouth lunch stop

The Black River facility where I got to camp with the big boats!

I like that they let me be a boater even though I'm in a tent...which I haven't set up yet

I like that the sunsets an hour sooner

1 comment:

  1. I stopped there in early afternoon on my trip. I didn't end up camping there...I think I should have because I got wind bound for two days in a really boring place in the Porkies. Didn't have much to do.

    ReplyDelete