Monday, July 2, 2012

Severe storms bearing down

I made the mistake of setting my camp down on the beach at North Channel Park..to be less visible since the park was supposed to have camping but not anymore.. I have it tied to my kayak..my tent that is with most stuff in it.. Now we have severe thunder storms heading this way.. Frankly, I could loose my entire setup..kayak and camping gear.. I took my money, iPad, cell phone.. Little else !
OK. My connection wouldn't allow upload last night.
Next morning..Whoa.. I had a restless night up in a changing room at the park with just long pants T-shirt and rain jacket. When the first storm passed and my iPad weather radar showed even more severe weather coming I tried to go get my sleeping bag and pad.. The storm hit before I got even half way down so I ran back and that's where I stayed during the severe weather. I was there from 11 pm until 5:40 am. The storm(s) were/was over. I walked down to the beach and I kind of expected my tent to be trashed, my gear all wet and worst case scenario.. my kayak and tent lost to the lake. The 60 mph winds must not have hit here as there it was.. Waves had washed up beyond the vestibule and it was slightly moved but intact. I climbed in and slept about 3 hours..noticing an increasing wind. I got up and decided to move stuff over the berm to the canal side.. My tent I could.not take down so held onto one end and sailed it over.. I packed up and paddled across to the canal beach of McClain State Park. This time deciding to camp even if it was a ways. OK..it's away far ways so.. I'm stealth camping here near the canal.. I just made breakfast and now I can go back and find a shady spot for my tent in the woods. I'm going sleep ..last night was lacking.
Here's where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment