Saturday, July 21, 2012

Finally .. Duluth to Two Harbors

I planned to leave on Friday but the end of Thursday marine forecast called for 3 to 5 foot waves on Friday. They updated to much better but I'd already decided to wait until today..Saturday. It started out with a north wind which was nice as it cooled things down. It was light. Things calmed and it was hot. I stopped for lunch at Stony Point. The only out of boat break today. I shouldn't have taken 8 days off as I lost some of the training effects off paddling since May 9th. I maybe started out too fast? It was kind of a trudge from Stony Point to Burlington Bay campground. I left at 8:20 and got to the campground at 3:10. I got an RV site for the price of a tent site. Someone from Grand Marais was working the campground office and gave me the deal as it was the closest open site to the beach. I then walked to the Holiday Store for a cold drink of some kind and ran into my 2 cousins Chris and Sara from Minneapolis who I rarely see. We sat and talked a half hour or so.
I'm planning to camp at the free water trail sit next to the Silver Bay taconite plant. This site was $24 and I'll likely camp at Temperance and Grand Marais for a similar amount...
It was hard to set out from the comforts of my house but might as well complete the 'circumnavigation'. Plus my vehicle is up there. I'll be done in 4 or more likely 5 more days!

Duluth

The Lester River .. The Lakewood Station .. McQuade Safe Harbor

Stony Point ahead... Closer

Forgot to photograph Knife River... This is approaching Two Harbors and the breakwater light.. Similar to Grand Marais'

The Two Harbors Lighthouse

Burlington Bay Campground

My site #5 .. My kayak .. My site

No comments:

Post a Comment