Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Security vs Park employee

So I posted about the night at the North Canal Park .. and that it was windy so I packed up on the inside beach there and paddled across the canal to the beach on the McLain State Park side.. Quarter mile maybe? I intended to get a site even if I had to walk a mile from where my boat was.. I got to where I could see the campground and park office but ? I just couldn't get excited about the haul. I thought about asking if I might pay but set my tent up over on the canal beach side but didn't want to risk being told no? So I made myself comfortable at the nice picnic pavilion with ice cream snack concession and found a weak yet best Verizon signal since Marquette. Now, july 4th, as I right this in my tent at the mouth of the East Sleeping River I have no usable signal once again.. I've posts from June 30 waiting to upload. The wind did drop off in the afternoon but I wanted an early start to get somewhere.
Anyway.. I took sunset photos down at he inside beach with the others waiting to set up my tent. It was hot.. Up at the pavilion earlier with the breeze it was nice. The late evening got hot. Finally everyone was gone and I set up my tent.. I was sweating in the tent stripped to my shorts knowing it would soon cool down. I heard voices.. Then a flashlight.. Then the intrusion of 'security'. I put on some pants and t-shirt as I tried to talk the dude into just letting me stay. This was not a State Park employee but rather a contract security..turn the lights off kind of guy.. He had a big flashlight and a big authority trip. He said I could go buy a site in the campground and move my stuff there..or pack up and get off State Park property. He said they close soon so offered to give me a ride down.. I grabbed my money and off we went. I could not believe this guy wouldn't just set it slide one night... Well we got to the Park Office just as the guy was locking up.. I saw a campground full sign.. He listened to the security dude and calmly said.. Well we could put him in the overflow camping area..which is near where I was.. Then he says.. Well if he's already set up just let him stay where he is. He asks if I'll be paddling on in the morning and I say yes. Then I offer to pay the fee as I thank him for his logical attitude but he waves off paying and says have a good trip. Then I get a rid back from the security guy and say..thanks for the ride... : )

Where I hung out .. Where I had set up my tent.. This is morning when I was taking it down

Waiting for the people to leave after sunset

Breakfast .. Heading out morning of July 4th

No comments:

Post a Comment