Sunday, July 8, 2012

Black River Harbor to Joe Rose's camping

I had been concerned about how to or where to camp in the Bad River Indian Reservation. Dave and Amy had told me about a guy they ran into back when they paddled around Superior in 2006. Bad River Band of the Superior Chippewa member, Joe Rose has some campsites and is also a professor at Northland college. I never met Joe but did meet his neighbors Steve and Melinda...and kids. It was kind of amazing I paddled up to this group who turned out to be right at the nice camping option.. The kids insisted I land where they were and what do you know.. It's the right place.

A few more shots from the night camped at Black River Harbor.

You could see the sunset and sunrise from this campsite. The sunsets will no longer fall into the horizon of 'The Lake'.

Leaving the Black River Harbor it was about 15 miles to Little Girl's Point...where I had lunch.

Then it was off across Oronto Bay to Marble Point...about 9 miles. Then I just picked a spot a bit this side of the Bad River and figured I'd go talk to someone from the reservation about camping...

As luck would have it I paddled right to the place Joe Rose has some campsites and was invited by his neighbors Steve and Melinda and the kids who really liked when my kayak hit the beach!

My campsite .. View back from where I came...and toward the Bayfield Peninsula

No more sunset into the horizon .. Steve, the kids and a neighbor.

3 comments:

  1. what a beautiful area, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family used to camp at Waverly Beach for many, many years. I would love to do so again. Do you know how I can get in touch with Mr Rose to amek arrangements? Thanks, Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not think to write down contact info. I don't even remembr the last name of his neighbors. Joe Rose is apparently a Northland College Professor. Perhaps you can contact him via Northland?

      Delete