Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Around Whitefish Point .. Shipwreck Museum

After a stormy evening I awoke to a nice light wind day. Great day to go around Whitefish Point. I took 4 hours to get to the beach around the point by the Lighthouse and Museum. Had lunch and checked out the Shipwreck Museum which was about a 2.5 hour break. I took off again with continued nice paddling conditions with a bit of fog that soon burned off to another hot humid day. I decided to paddle longer than I have on the trip.. Anxious to get to Grand Marais Michigan. I ended up paddling a similar distance west from the point.. I had noticed quite a few 'fish flies' those biting flies that are only a nuisance on hot humid days back in Grand Marais Minnesota. I was not expecting the swarming feeding frenzy of these nasty flies!!

Easy paddling conditions toward Whitefish Point .. Now you can see finally see the point

There's the Lighthouse though still from the 'bay' side .. Landed at the Lighthouse

The lighthouse and Shipwreck Museum...

I side the main museum display...

The Edmund Fitzgerald display.. Including the 'Bell' memorial.

Lighthouse keeper's house museum displays...including numerous wax figures

On my way again after the museum break for another 5 hours or so .. What you can't see are the swarms of flies covering me and my kayak!!

No comments:

Post a Comment