Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

I left Grand Marais Michigan this morning after spending 3 nights at Woodland Campground. A friend of Alex named Al stopped at my campsite as I was packing up this morning....nice guy. I did not head out until 9:40 AM. I stopped at the Au Sable Lighthouse and had a nice chat with a volunteer named Tony who lives there often with his wife. They live in Marquette and we exchanged contact info. They are kayakers and Tony joined me for a mile or 2. I was scheduled to camp at Benchmark but with the forecast sounding like I may be windbound I decided to continue on to the site I'm supposed to be at tomorrow night..Beaver Creek. It was only 2:30 PM when I got to Benchmark so it seemed like I may as well push on the other 10 or 11 miles to Beaver Creek. The cliff sections were next and I'm down for one more night camping at Mosquito Creek on the other side of the Grand Portal Point. I want it quite calm for this next section and again when I paddle to the campground near Munising.
I just discovered my VHF Radio is not working? It worked fine this morning.. The forecast was sounding so nice but late last night they issued a new one calling for winds to become... NW 10-15 gusting to 25 with 3 to 5 foot waves on Sunday? I now have no way to get a marine forecast just as I'm about to go around the cliffs sections of this Lakeshore Park. I'll be windbound with those conditions but now I may end up staying needlessly if they upgrade it again with calmer less windy conditions and I have no way to get these new marine forecasts. I'm also in a dead zone as far as Verizon coverage goes. Sounds like I may get a signal again at Mosquito River.
Having no access to the marine forecasts makes me ponder what the mariners of Pre marine forecasts were up against.. Looking at the clouds, wind and pressure and making their own guesses on the weather.
What will tomorrow bring weather wise?

Sunset my last night at Woodland Campground in Grand Marais, MI

Paddling along the Grand Sable Dunes area.. The last photo is 'the log slide'. Can you see the people on it? There are at least 5 people in the photo.. Easiest to see are the 2 at the bottom.

Au Sable Point Lighthouse

Paddling down the Twelve Mile Beach

Decided to continue past Benchmark and camp at Beaver Creek. These are both at Beaver Creek

Campsite my first night at Beaver Creek but taken Sunday morning and there's moisture on the lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment