Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sault Saint Marie

I was fortunate to run into Ray and MaryAnne while camping at Sherman Park on the edge of town. It would have been a 4 mile one way walk with stuff I wanted to mail home and buying food for the start of my kayaking of the Southshore. Ray and MaryAnne are seasonal campers at Sherman. Interestingly they ran into and also assisted Bryan Hansel who I know from Grand Marais. He had paddled some of Lake Huron and went through the Soo .. camping at Sherman on the way to Superior's Southshore. I probably would have ended up staying 2 nights at Sheman had Ray not offered to run my errands wit his truck. I also sat around their fire Friday night and had coffee, eggs, toast and Grapefruit in this rig.

Ray and MaryAnne.. I guess the bright sunlight disguised them in shadow.

My little beach on the edge of the Park .. Sunset June 15

View of campground from where I put up my tent (and got away with it) The host said I'd have to move it to 'a site'. He said the security man would make me.. I said I can move it easy enough but I'll wait and try to talk the security guy into letting me leave it there near my kayak. I never saw the security guy and all was well.. I did pay my $20 however.. I have to find some free camping as Much as I can.. I don't have a budget to spend $140 a week in camping fees paddling the Southshore? .. Sherman Park.. They lock the gate at 11 PM and you need to find the campground host to unlock a shower if you want to take one.. Most surprising they also lock the restrooms from 11 PM until.. 8:15 AM. There are pit toilets and water elsewhere though I did not know it..

No comments:

Post a Comment