Thursday, June 21, 2012

Camping in Grand Marais Michigan

I had one nasty long grueling day June 20th, determined to not came with 'the flies' another night. I'm staying here 3 nights I decided as that 10 hour day really did a number on my right shoulder injury. I'm literally freaked at the notion I may again encounter the kind of insane biting fly swarm as I continue along Pictured Rocks. Word is they have been just as bad during the unseasonably hot humid June weather. I fear it may get hot and humid again. Having lived for years in Grand Marais Minnesota I have to say I like it better. This is another nice little small harbor town but I like feel and setting of Minnesota's GM. I will say i miss our marina and campground with NorthHouse, way more restaurant options, the Java Moose and Artist's Point etc. Granted there is likely more to michigan's GM than I'll discover.
Camping here via kayak is not easy, you have to go out of the harbor and down the beach ..land on the beach an haul your gear across the huge expanse of sand and up the stairs and down to your site.

Not where I'm camped but a gas statin grocery store with wifi..

Grand Marais Michigan in the distance.. I can make it!

The beginning of the badly needed change in the weather.. West towards Pictured Rocks .. East towards the harbor entrance!

My last trip of gear for campsite .. The 32 steps .. My kayak way down on the beach with darkening sky's

My campsite .. Primitive section. $18 a night no electricity .. The look of the campground.. Not a bad RV campground, especially by car ! Still.. As a solo traveler it seems crazy that I pay the same as a big RV rig with 2 vehicles and tent or other camper rig with often 10 people.. Well the electric sites are $23 but still they should offer solo campsites where you would end up sharing a site with other single travelers.. Often on bike or kayak.. Like a $5 or $10 rate?

No comments:

Post a Comment