Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The 'Pictured Rocks' morning

I will say I'm glad I did not decide to go to Mosquito last night to camp. It had calmed down nicely during the night but there were still bouncy reflecting waves from Sunday and Monday. The west side of Grand Portal Point until about Mosquito Creek was the choppiest. After my lazy day Monday waiting to see how calm it might get I was well rested and easily got up at 5 am. It was the first actual sunrise I'd seen since our crossing from Pie Island to Thunder Cape back in early May.
Here are some photos of the famous 'Pictured Rocks' ...

Sunrise at Beaver Creek beach

The first cliffs before Chapel Beach and Rock

Chapel Rock and Beach

Heading toward the 'point' of Grand Portal Point

The Grand Portal used to be open for paddling through. It collapsed over 10 years ago I guess.

Looking back from where I came...east

There is still one huge sea arch you can paddle through ahead, though I'm not sure what it's called? Anyone?

Anyone know what they call this arch?

Pretty rocks

More and more

Miner's Castle

Miner's Castle from the back

Almost done

Heading across to Grand Island toward the Munising Tourist Campground

Some Scout Group I encountered who we're also camping at the city campground

My campsite...number 7

My neighbors the scouts .. Sites 5 and 6

The Falling Rock Cafe in Munising Michigan

No comments:

Post a Comment